A poll released by WIN-Gallup International, which was based on interviews with more than 50,000 people selected from 57 countries, asked participants “irrespective of whether they attended a place of worship, if they considered themselves to be religious, not religious, or an atheist.”
In Ireland, only 47 percent of those polled said they considered themselves religious — a 22-point drop from the 69 percent recorded in a similar poll conducted in 2005. In addition, 10 percent self-identified as atheist.
The only country that registered a steeper decline in religiosity was Vietnam, which saw a 23-point drop from 53 percent to 30 percent.
However, Ireland and Vietnam were not unique in this dip in faith, Reuters notes.
According to the global index, there has been a notable decline in religiosity worldwide.
Current data shows that the number of people worldwide who call themselves religious is now 59 percent, while 13 percent self-identify as atheist.
However, according to trending data, religiosity has fallen by 9 points globally since 2005 and the number of people who identify as atheist rose from 4 percent to 7 percent. Note that only 40 countries were polled in both 2005 and 2012, so there are two different sets of data available.
The U.S., France and Canada joined Ireland on the top-10 list of countries to have experienced a “notable decline in religiosity” since 2005.
The number of people in the U.S. who self-identify as religious dropped 13 points to 60 percent. In addition, 5 percent of Americans declared themselves atheists, an increase of 4 points since 2005.
- mariopgrant likes this
- vwcg likes this
- mehmet-akbulutt likes this
- stringsdafistmcgee reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- fisher-price likes this
- hobbitage likes this
- bothersomeboredom likes this
- theonecalledbiz reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- these-big-brass-ovaries reblogged this from icouldntfixit
- weareallunderthesamesky reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- the-half-deaf-observer reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- tylerrrdurden reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- the-half-deaf-observer likes this
- icouldntfixit reblogged this from deconversionmovement and added:
- reviewstorage likes this
- cash4soul reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- cash4soul likes this
- radish-destroi likes this
- raybucklad reblogged this from huffingtonpost and added:
- feigenbaumsworld likes this
- mickeymousehasgrownupaclown reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- ponta241402 likes this
- athreateninghaiku likes this
- rubbertiresforestfires reblogged this from huffingtonpost and added:
- rubbertiresforestfires likes this
- nominalscale reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- smilefortyeight likes this
- ebbnflowe likes this
- anogoodrabblerouser reblogged this from tenderstatue
- tenderstatue reblogged this from fantasticfemme and added:
- goodbyeolepaint likes this
- lightupyourtorch reblogged this from scienceisrad
- fantasticfemme reblogged this from deconversionmovement
- jackrabbitking likes this
- show-me-your-lewd-self likes this
- texarshead likes this
- startrekintoharkness likes this
- startrekintoharkness reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- manofarms89 likes this
- mystanceisbearded reblogged this from sinderhella and added:
- sinderhella reblogged this from gildedorange
- scienceisrad reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- gildedorange reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- emil-i-am likes this
- peripheric likes this
- 87-pounds-of-bees likes this
- deconversionmovement reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- thenewenlightenmentage likes this
- picardwouldtotallyrulekirk reblogged this from huffingtonpost
- anunreliablesource likes this